On May 28, S4D4C launched its “European Science Diplomacy Online Course”
This online course will introduce you to the field of science diplomacy. The course benefits from a theoretical as well as a practical dimension, as it gives you information about the conceptual framing of science diplomacy, the variety of stakeholders and networks involved, including a whole module focused on the European Union, different implementation strategies, skills needed in the field of science diplomacy and some case studies of science diplomacy in practice. After sucessfully completing the course, you will be able to download an offfcial certificate. Important to know as well: The course is 100% free of charge.
The following modules are on offer for you:
- How to Get Started? This module aims to advise you how to use the S4D4C online course. It does not contain learning material.
- What Is Science Diplomacy? This is the first module with learning material. Here you learn about the state of the art in science diplomacy, conceptual approaches, nature of professionals involved, etc.
- Who Are the Science Diplomacy Stakeholders? In this module you find a brief description of different stakeholders and networks in science diplomacy.
- How Does the European Union Practice Science Diplomacy? Understand how the EU approaches science diplomacy and understand the EU political structure, EU science and innovation and innovation system and lastly the science diplomacy ecosystem
- Which National, Regional, and Thematic Approaches of Science Diplomacy Exist? You are going beyond European borders and learn about different science diplomacy strategies across countries, regions, or topics of interest around the world
- What Set of Skills Do I Need to Be a Good Science Diplomat? Let’s reflect on your own skills and those you need to promote, improve, or train to be a science diplomat.
- Hands On! Case Studies. Learn about selected case studies which were investigated by the S4D4C project and where science diplomacy approaches are empirically analysed.
- How Can You Dive Deeper into the Topic? This module contains a list with additional references to deepen your knowledge in the field of science diplomacy. This section is voluntary.
Who is the target audience of the S4D4C online course?
Diplomats and scientists looking to enlarge their knowledge in science diplomacy, consolidate their practice and think about career options in the field, as well as science diplomats (e.g. science attachés and science advisors) at the beginning of their career, and students/trainees and the interested public. The course can be a real assest for anyone who wants to have a career in science diplomacy.
You need approximately 15 hours to take the course and you can easily go through it from home, study room, office, library or anywhere else.
(featured image by Mometrix Test Prep on unsplash.com)