The Input Paper “Science Diplomacy”: Advancing the impact of Science Diplomacy at EU and Member States level through targeted support and improved coordination was developed by the SFIC Science Diplomacy Task Force and endorsed by the plenary of the forum on March 2, 2020.
The input paper lays out several reasons for dealing with SD:
- Making Europe stronger in the world: one of six priorities of the European Commission
- Great capital for EU: SD is not fully exploited
- EU Science diplomacy approach with new actors beyond the governmental level
- SDGs: addressing complex transnational matters
refering to the Madrid Declaration on Science Diplomacy, initiatives by the EU Member States and in specific fields (e.g. health, water, security, climate, etc.) and citing various documents of the European Commission and EEAS.
SFIC stresses the importance to seize the potential and promote a clearar and more strategic role of EU Science Diplomacy and then reflects on future programming for Science Diplomacy in Europe. Inspiration for the joint statement by the EU Science Diplomacy Cluster (S4D4C, InsSciDE, EL-CSID) is explicitly acknowledged and concrete lines of action are proposed to foster the uptake of Science Diplomacy practices and strategies.
Key activities to be implemented from the perspective of SFIC are:
- Inclusion of Science Diplomacy in the new EU STI International Cooperation Strategy
- Creation of a EU Platform for Science Diplomacy
- Supporting the development of training activities in the area of Science Diplomacy / Science Advice as well as creation of Science Diplomacy networks
- Development of an overall Science Diplomacy Roadmap including EU Commission, the EEAS and the Member States
- Organisation of an Annual European Science Diplomacy Conference including a European Science Diplomacy Award
- Foster the integration of Science Diplomacy aspects in national STI strategies
In the input paper these are described in further details.
>>> READ the SFIC Input Paper on Science Diplomacy here: https://data.consilium.europa.eu/doc/document/ST-1352-2020-INIT/en/pdf